Re: [OM] E system metering was Dpreview Challengesbeta:

Subject: Re: [OM] E system metering was Dpreview Challengesbeta:
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 00:46:04 +1300
Hi all,

I've come to realise that images which appeal to people who might want to
hang them on their walls do not necessarily conform to the standards of
resolution and accurate colour that we photographers ascribe to.

If you want proof, look at how readily people buy good watercolour, oil and
acrylic paintings for their houses. And pay a heap more than they will for a
photographic print.

These usually are not at all sharp by photographic standards, and often
have considerably greater colour saturation than we usually think OK.
Further, the colours used may bear NO relation to the actual colour of any
subject that might have been used for the image created.

I was forced to realise this too, when I noticed that one particular New
Zealand photographer who consistently wins prizes in contests, morphs his
photos using the most unreal colours and level of detail one could imagine.

Brian Swale.