Re: [OM] email address posted in the body

Subject: Re: [OM] email address posted in the body
From: WayneS <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 20:36:18 -0500
At 12:33 PM 1/12/2009, you wrote:
>> From: Chris Barker <ftog AT threeshoes DOT net>
>>
>> I have just looked at lists.tako.de and the email addresses are
>> obfuscated.
>>
>> What am I missing?
>

>These don't look obfuscated to me:
>        http://lists.tako.de/mbox/Olympus-OM/2009-01
>
>I got there by Googling for "Olympus mailing list". It was the first
>hit. Then I clicked on list archives, then I clicked on the first mbox
>link. Surely, spammers can find it as well.

If you navigate to the list via http://lists.tako.de/
then the email addresses displayed are blanked out.

Your assumption is a crawler would know what to search
or would have to know the email in advance.
But if the crawler just follows hyper links, only emails in
the body will be seen.

Whether it makes a difference in your opinion or not,
I don't think it is unreasonable to request that people not
post other people's email addresses in the body of the text
unless that is something difficult to do.

Whether people think it is irrelevant or not, to me it does reduce
exposure, and is a simple request.

WayneS