Re: [OM] dots and pixels per inch

Subject: Re: [OM] dots and pixels per inch
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 17:04:43 +0100
John,

This is one of the most misunderstood aspects of digital photography,
and the amount of confusion out there is actually very simple. An
image, whether scanned or captured digitally, has a size, measured in
pixels. For example, 4000x3000 pixels (from a 12 MP camera, to use
round numbers). You can print such an image in various sizes, each of
which will have a different resolution. For example, if you print it
as 10x8 inches, the resultion will be 400 pixels per inch (measured on
the long side).

When your photo lab asks for images with at least 300 pixels per inch,
what they mean is that you should provide an image of sufficient pixel
dimensions to yield a resolution of 300 ppi. In the above example, if
you ask them to make a 10x8 inch print or smaller, you are fine. If
you ask them to make a print that is 2 feet on the long side, then
your resolution will be only 4000/24=167 ppi, and the print will not
have sufficient definition according to their standards.

So, in a nutshell, it is misleading of an image having a resolution of
x. It has pixel dimensions of x by z, and the resolution dependes
entirely on the size of the print you wish to make from it.

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain
http://www.frozenlight.eu