Re: [OM] email address posted in the body

Subject: Re: [OM] email address posted in the body
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 23:52:24 -0800
May I ask how you are measuring that difference? "Seems to make a
difference" sounds rather un-scientific.

A well-know psychological phenomenon (similar to the placebo effect)
is that taking an action can cause one to perceive an expected result.
The perception itself may be useful, but is hardly reason for everyone
else to change their behaviour!

Besides, spam-bots don't get the email; they see the archive, and your
address is STILL IN THE ARCHIVE no matter that it's sanitized in the
message bodies!

> From: Chris Barker <ftog AT threeshoes DOT net>, who's real address
> is in the header of his posting in the archive.
>
> I don't know, Jan, but it seems to make a difference.
>
> On 10 Jan 2009, at 18:15, Jan Steinman wrote:
>
>> If I were writing address harvesting software, why would I bother
>> parsing message body text when I can pull all the addresses I want
>> right out of the headers?

:::: If you succumb to the temptation of using violence in the
struggle, unborn generations will be the recipients of a long and
desolate night of bitterness, and your chief legacy to the future will
be an endless reign of meaningless chaos. - Martin Luther King Jr.
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Item/99-0590-18>