Re: [OM] IMG: Backyard Visitor

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Backyard Visitor
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 09:51:20 -0500
Yep. We used to lie in bed at night listening to the mice and red
squirrels play soccer overhead with an acorn. We had two cats who
kept them out of the interior, but not out of the walls. Then one
winter, no more soccer. Then another winter. We wondered what had
happened. Finally, our furnace needed some work. The repair guy came
out of the basement looking like he'd been blanched by the water
heater. For our inspection, he mutely held (note murkin-style adverb
preceding verb) a very long skin. Turns out it's apparently a kind of
garter snake, but not one of those wimpy little ones you see squashed
on the roads. This bad boy is _big_. But he's welcome. Still no
winter soccer. And our furnace guy is still a bit tentative about
heading down into the basement.

We have fishers, too. Which means our cat (used to be cats) is an
inside cat. The post office is never without a notice or two of "Have
you seen Fluffy?" Sad, really. Fishers are merciless. So are Great
Horned Owls. We had one of them come sit on our deck rail at
twilight. I thought it was just curious. After reading the list, I'm
wondering if he was trying to figure out how to get at the cats.
Swooped off the deck into the field beyond. I swear is wingspan would
rival a B-52.

--Bob Whitmire
www.bwp33.com