Re: [OM] Be careful where you sit...

Subject: Re: [OM] Be careful where you sit...
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 08:44:39 -0600
To the point, there is no difference between a point-source light and a lit
object when we talk about light fall-off.  Absolutely none.

But we're confusing this thing called "illumination".

Let's take a point-source of light:  One Candle.  This candle emits only so
many photons.  With distance, these photons spread out and in any one
direction, (let's say one-millionth of an arc-second) there are very few
photons.  Let's assume that this one-millionth of an arc-second represents
ONE PIXEL on a Canon 5D at a distance of 50 meters.  If we move the camera
closer to the candle, another pixel will fall into another millionth of an
arc-second.  The first pixel receives no additional photons, it's just that
now we have two pixels getting light from the candle.

Why is it that all pixels in the 5D aren't being illuminated at any
distance?  It would if you REMOVED THE LENS!!!!!.  However, Thanks to the
miracles of optics, the lens on your camera is forcing the direction of
these photons to land on specific pixels only.  The lens's front surface
area represents the "illuminated surface" and is focusing all these captured
photons on specific pixels.

AG