Re: [OM] santa monica, ca

Subject: Re: [OM] santa monica, ca
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 11:07:26 +0000
Hi Nico

Thanks for your photos.  We aren't getting many sunsets, or sunrises
at the moment: a ridge of high pressure is sitting over the UK making
the air too stable for anything interesting, but for frost.

I like sunsets and yours are lovely.  But I wouldn't compose photos
like 0345 or 0347 as the sun is unclear and dominates the image.  I
find 0356 better as there are the cars' roofs to balance the photo a
little, but the sun still blows out the surroundings.  0427 is very
nicely composed, in my view; the Christmas lights balance the
silhouette of the chap apparently gazing at the horizon.  The
aircraft's contrail could be a distraction, but I think that it adds
to the image.

0433 and 0470 are great, especially as the latter seems to have kids
enjoying the sea.  0502 would be great but for the distraction of the
highlights down the right-hand side.

Now, some of us have a bit of a "thing" about Flickr.  It's difficult
to navigate, counter-intuitive, I'd say, and the first sight of the
images tends to be a small one.  But CoolIris (was PicLens) normally
mitigates the size and navigation problem by giving you a wall of
images to view against a dark background.  I say "normally" because
you haven't uploaded files large enough to view with CoolIris.  If you
try installing CoolIris (it works on the Mac in Safari and Firefox)
you will see the effect; you could always uninstall it if you wanted.

Finally, I had not noticed the horizons, but iPhoto has a "straighten"
control with a grid to assist you.

And all best wishes to you and yours too, thank you :-)

Chris