Re: [OM] T-20 safe on E?

Subject: Re: [OM] T-20 safe on E?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 15:02:35 -0500
The only warning about non Oly flashes in the 420 manual is this:
Do not use a flash unit or other accessory TTL flash that has additional
communication functions other than the specified flashes, since it may
not only fail to function normally, but may also cause damage to the
camera’s circuitry.
There are no high voltage warnings so I presume the camera is well
protected against the likes of old Vivitar 283s (250 volts or more).
I've never measured a T-20 but, since the T-20 is a contemporary of the
T-32 and, since T-32s measure about 12 volts, I would assume the T-20 is
perfectly safe from that standpoint.

As to the warning about "communication" pins, I have never owned a T-20
but assume that the flash ready and quench pins are just like the T-32.
  On the T-32 the pins are retracted into the foot if they are inserted
into a non-Oly TTL hotshoe.  The are only lowered into electrical
contact if they are inserted into an Oly flash shoe designed for TTL.
You won't find it on an OM-1's "fix" shoe but TTL shoes have a small
recess that allows the spring loaded pins to drop down out of the foot
into contact with the pins on the hot shoe.  No recess, no electrical
contact.  So it seems to me that a T-20 should be perfectly safe.  But
it ain't my 420 :-)

Dr. Flash