Re: [OM] Now that all is white

Subject: Re: [OM] Now that all is white
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 09:07:35 -0600

> Curious: noone using G. Chrome here ?

I am on my home computer.  Not approved for work computers yet, so either
using IE7 or Firefox here.  My opinion is as follows:

1. Internet Exploder:  Behaves best with streaming and flash content.
Actually very stable.  However, I don't leave browser windows open to
multiple pages.

2. Firefox:  Memory Leak issues keep cropping up on my home computer. I'm
told that I'm not alone as there is something specific causing that
problem.  I've dumped and reloaded a few times. Works great on my work
computer.  Mixed reviews with flash content, but streaming seems OK on some
computers.  Clutsy interface.  Some websites never do appear correctly.

3. Chrome:  You can tell that it is essentially a modified and repaired
Firefox.  No memory leak problems found yet.  The interface takes getting
used to, but once you get rolling with it, it's nice.  I like the fact that
you can click open a new tab and you get a display of your most frequently
visited websites.  The saved passwords thing really is a HUGE hole in the
security of the program, however.  Do not let Chrome save and autofill your
passwords. If you visit a spoofed site, it will retrieve your passwords
quicker than anything.  How?  Well, all it takes is to put an entry form on
a website with the same field name identification as say on ebay.  When you
visit this hoax site (doesn't even have to be a hoax site, just a normal one
with fields added) it will pull your userid/password.  Unscrupulous types
can hide these on the page and unless your browser is set to warn you, all
it takes is the click of the "enter" key and you're toast.  Firefox also has
this flaw, but with a different twist.  Internet Exploder is actually best
as it matches the username/password entry fields to specific websites and is
much harder to spoof. In fact, you'll see this when a website page changes,
but the fields are the same.  The previous visit it autofilled just fine,
but this visit will require all new manual entries. This is about the only
time you'll here me say that Microsoft's solution is best.

I've become quite impressed with Chrome.  When you load a webpage, the
inquiry side of the transaction is slower, but the retreival is faster.
Exploder seems to transact each element individually, whereas Chrome tends
to get all elements at once and display them altogether. Chrome is like
Opera, only it works.

AG