Re: [OM] Now that all is white

Subject: Re: [OM] Now that all is white
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 18:40:12 -0500
It does get that cold here once in a while but I haven't seen -25 in a
long time.  Glad it's you and not me.

Many years ago I used to have a little 1 liter Opel Kadet station wagon.
  We had no garage then so it was parked outside.  When it got to -25 or
thereabouts it was necessary to put the car to bed for the night.  First
a 100 watt trouble light was placed next to the battery to keep it warm.
  Then a trickle charger was attached to keep it even warmer.  Then the
inside of the engine compartment was covered with a fiber glass
insulation blanket.  Then the hood was closed and the front of the car
covered with a tarp that went to the ground to keep the wind from
blowing the heat away.  In the morning all of this stuff was quickly
removed.  Then a couple sprays of ether into the air cleaner intake to
facilitate lighting the little Opel's fire.  Finally, if it didn't start
within three cranks it was all over for the day.  Usually it worked.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt