Re: [OM] High-ISO performance Rant - Saying it with pictures

Subject: Re: [OM] High-ISO performance Rant - Saying it with pictures
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 14:09:39 -0500
Well, you are correct at a certain level.  According to Canon's white
paper on the design points of the 5D is says: "Also significant are the
large microlens array that gathers light for the photodiodes with great
efficiency and the second-generation, on-chip, noise reduction circuit
that effectively minimizes random noise and eliminates fixed-pattern
noise."   The only other noise reduction that Canon admits to is long
exposure (> 1 second) noise reduction which is done by subtracting a
dark frame.  This setting can be on, off or automatic but is only done
on long exposures.  I believe that the on-chip noise reduction is
something much different than the large pattern noise reduction done by
the likes of Noise Ninja, etc.  The large scale software pattern
analysis ultimately ends up mistaking some image detail for noise and
ends up softening the image.  I don't think that's what's going on
on-chip and that's why you don't see something that looks "processed".
Although that certainly happens in JPEGs.

Chuck Norcutt