Re: [OM] High-ISO performance Rant - Saying it with pictures

Subject: Re: [OM] High-ISO performance Rant - Saying it with pictures
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 07:11:37 +0100
Hi Ken,

While I agree with your sentiments, I must also admit that with the
superb high-ISO performance of the latest Nikons and Canons
(especially Nikons) the bar has undoubtedly been raised, as also
happened in the old days when a new high-speed film that provided
better detail and less grain than previous emulsions was introduced
(e.g. Neopan 1600).

Again, I basically agree with you, but I also think that the picture
you use to illustrate the point is not perfect for your purpose. The
scene is a night scene, yes, but it is also quite bright with the
strong street light and snow on the ground. This is evidenced by the
fact that you were able to shoot at f5 with quite a decent shutter
speed. Perhaps a better example is offered by a gallery I just put up
from Tuesday night's Christmas Quiz at my local watering hole. In my
case, the light was such that I had to shoot at something like 1/15
sec. af f1.4 much of the evening, using ISO 1250 on the M8:
http://www.greatpix.eu/gallery/6856240_Zbdi5#438498271_SNzuH

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman