Re: [OM] I am the weirdest

Subject: Re: [OM] I am the weirdest
From: "Sandy Harris" <sandyinchina@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 07:26:28 +0800
Wayne Harridge <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> But, as the rest of the world has concluded--none of this matters.
>>

> That's right, haven't you heard, it's all about megapixels and megafeature
> lists.

Here's the list I want:

A good viewfinder. I'm an amateur on a budget so I do not need
topnotch. Anything that makes it reasonably easy to manually
focus in dim light is fine for me. It needs precision good enough
for a 50/1.4 and to be bright enough an F4 lens is usable with
manual focus.

Easy-to-use controls. Large enough, well-positioned and with tactile
feedback of course. Enough controls and a simple enough interface
that I never have to use menus while shooting.

A dead simple interface. No JPEG, so no white balance, or scene
modes. Two automation settings, with a switch. One is manual,
the other aperature priority with the extra feature that I set a
minimum shutter speed. Beyond that, it increases ASA and
warns me in the viewfinder.

Megapixels? Let's see. 200 dpi gives 40 Kpixels per square
inch, so a megapixel handles a 5" by 5" square. Typical PC
screens are under 2 Mp. For about 90% of my shots (web
or small prints) three Mp is more than adequate. Largest
I am ever likely to print  is 16" by 20"; about 12 MP at 200
dpi but I've seen prints that size from 6 MP cameras that
looked fine to me.

I will shoot in poor light, though. Low noise at higher ASA
settings would help.  Also, I wll shoot some high-contrast
scenes, and I (or the automation) will no doubt get the
exposure wrong fairly often. Wide dynamic range would
save quite a few shots that would otherwise be doomed.
Either of those "features" is more important than more
megapixels.

I'm hoping Oly's micro 4/3 offering will suit me.

--
Sandy Harris,
Quanzhou, Fujian, China