Re: [OM] I am the weirdest

Subject: Re: [OM] I am the weirdest
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 17:16:37 +0200
That is almost as funny/sad as the posts on the DPReview Leica forum
of how easily the finish on a Leica M8 damages/scratches, which
resulted in
a whole tirade of people comparing the finish to earlier versions, and
all sorts of
crazy solutions, with one guy actually having wrapped his M8 in tape
to "protect"
it.

These are TOOLS for making pictures, but people love obsessing. If
it's not to
keep the "tool" cosmetically pristine, it's like the forum post linked
below.

I purchased my most precious camera (Linhof Technorama 617S) second-
hand, and
it already had a couple of scuffs and dings, and I certainly have
added a few more.
By all accounts, an M8 is a small and cheap toy compared to the 617 in
every
respect - build- and image-quality. Do I care? Not at all. Nothing
more satisfying
that dragging that  camera to some obscure location and making a big
beautiful
(I hope...) slide with it. So what if the journey to there is rough!
And... so what
if the image you took is "vulnerable" - i.e. something could happen to
the roll of
film, just like something can happen to a CF card in a DSLR.

If you obsess over it all the time, you won't get ay enjoyment out of
the trip, and
the process, in the first place. And any people making the trip with
you won't enjoy it.

It's nice to be subscribed to a mailing list where people somehow seem
to "get" that -
because I know many of you guys feel this way.

Cheers!