Re: [OM] OT---Wierd things going on

Subject: Re: [OM] OT---Wierd things going on
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 19:54:11 -0800
Chris Barker wrote:
> Tsk, Frank.  Too much trouble?  You could use a time switch.

Mechanical, of course, wouldn't want to waste electricity.

> We'll never save the world from climate change without something like that ...

Any extra heat I generate winding it and that it generates running
should displace that amount of house heating, so that's OK.

But wait. Methane is worse than CO2, isn't it? So if the food I eat to
generate the energy to wind the mechanism generates methane (as it has
been known to do), is that worse than the relatively clean source of the
electricity to run the modem in the first place - or at least the
electric timer.

And what's the relative carbon footprint of each timer? If I don't buy
one, will one less be made? Or will one more go directly in the trash
somewhere without serving any useful purpose at all to justify its creation?

A. Confused Moose