Re: [OM] OT---Wierd things going on

Subject: Re: [OM] OT---Wierd things going on
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 16:21:48 -0600

> ...and what cost in energy to send all this stuff as paper documents via
> the postal system

One postcard probably has a carbon footprint of 962 pounds.

I always get a kick out of some of these "carbon footprint" calculations.
Depending on how you bend the numbers, the results are quite entertaining.
Reminds me of the perpetual-motion machine.  According to some opinions, it
takes like 10 pounds of coal to mine one pound of coal.  We'd run out of
coal before we ever got a fire started in the furnace.

Or my favorite is that based on one calculation our household has a
carbon-footprint of 3.78 tonnes per year.  But on another calculation by
those with an axe to grind, the hallway nightlight consumes 4 tonnes.

The reality is, efficiency is ALWAYS driven by money.  If it comes to
starving myself or the car, the car loses.  This summer, when gasoline
prices went to obscene levels, my Zuiko Carrier stayed parked more than it
has ever been.  On a positive note, now that the prices have dropped, my
driving has not really increased as other topics of Zuiko-pointing have been
found not requiring much distance.

So, therefore, even though I don't get too anal about carbon-footprints and
zero-impact living, I do believe that when given options for efficient
living or supporting renewables, I should make use of them.  But when the
alternative to photography is carving stones because of perceived
carbon-footprint, I say somebody has gone loony.

OM System - The ultimate photographic renewable resource

AG