Re: [OM] Radio receivers compatible with FL-36R/FL-50R?

Subject: Re: [OM] Radio receivers compatible with FL-36R/FL-50R?
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 09:09:23 -0600

> Thanks for your comprehensive information! I'm very postitive to
> the idea of using several cheap non-TTL flashes, and I appreciate
> your recommendations on models with good manual settings. I will
> base further investigations on your tips.

I have three sets of ebay triggers and use a combination of Vivitar 285HV
and studio monolights.

The ebay triggers can be a mixed bag, but I've found that they are extremely
unreliable if you have the receivers too close to each other.  Anything less
than 2m and they will be self-firing all over the place.  The transmitters
all worked, but some better than others.  I would highly recommend getting
three sets as at least one transmitter will be less than ideal.

For exposure, I typically use a flash meter or do a test-n-chimp.  Like
Chuck says, the GN listed for a given flash is usually (always?) optimistic
and assumes that you are shooting down a hallway with mirrors and the
ceiling and walls.  I know that the G40 flash is listed this way.

AG