Re: [OM] Radio receivers compatible with FL-36R/FL-50R?

Subject: Re: [OM] Radio receivers compatible with FL-36R/FL-50R?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 07:27:27 -0500
Sorry, but "RC" in the Olympus literature means "Remote Control" and not
"Radio Control".  All of the camera branded remote flash controls from
Olympus and others use infrared signaling rather than radio.  That's why
you have a line of sight restriction as well as a fairly narrow angle of
reception as measured from the camera.

If you want to use radio control you'll have to use any of several
transmitter/receiver sets available but you won't get TTL control except
on extremely high end units such as the Quantum FreeXWire
<http://www.qtm.com/FreeXwire/>  Price is about $370/pair but then you
need Quantum Qflash flash heads to go with them which can cost
$1,000/head or more.

Non-TTL flash control can be had fairly inexpensively.  Cheap Chinese
made transmitter/receiver pairs from ebay for about $20.  Short range,
not very reliable.  Alien Bees CyberSyncs for $60 (transmitter) and $70
(receiver) <http://alienbees.com/remotes.html> and several other brands
on up from there to PocketWizard at the top price wise.

Dr. Flash
who always says manual control is always more reliable and much cheaper
than TTL.  Invest in a good meter instead.