[OM] Re: Lexar 4gb CF Deal

Subject: [OM] Re: Lexar 4gb CF Deal
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 14:25:59 -0600
 >That's 5% of flash memory that is being written to all the time for a
>period of 36 months... a technology which has a known "wear rate".
>That's much different than archiving after a single use.

I was thinking the same thing, but we're talking about the firmware which is
updated maybe once a year and a configuration save on-average of twice per
month.

Yet, using large-capacity CF cards as backups is intruiging, but the cost of
real hard-drives has dropped so much that I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a
few for putting into my bank safe-deposit-box instead of DVDs.  The DVD
stack is over two inches thick and they are sealed in freezer bags

AG