[OM] Re: Lexar 4gb CF Deal

Subject: [OM] Re: Lexar 4gb CF Deal
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 21:01:47 +1100

> Film loses data too within 10 years, doesn't it ? The only
> benefit is the image is still viewable even though it's blur
> or the color fades.

I don't know about blur (never noticed it), dyes can change colour.  I've
scanned some pretty old b&w negs (40yo) of mine and some older stuff that a
few people have got me to scan and print which don't "appear" to have
degraded (good density, contrast & sharpness).  I've also got a few old
family portraits, probably 100yo which still look pretty good.  Even with
colour dyes the changes are gradual and if not perfect they can be used to
make good prints, however when digital media fails it is usually
catastrophic, a few bits dropped from the wrong part of a CD and it's
stuffed.

...Wayne