[OM] Re: Wanted: 8mm f/2.8 Fisheye

Subject: [OM] Re: Wanted: 8mm f/2.8 Fisheye
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 11:48:30 -0600
Dawid wrote:
>You see, having sold all my expensive Canon digital gear, I can afford
>to splurge a bit on some Zuiko exotics, and I would really like the 8mm.

When I look at the cost of the E-3 (or even the new E-30) with ONE moderate
zoom, I realize that I could buy a bunch of exotica OM gear for the same
amount.  Life is sweet.  If I reversed course and went 100% film, I could
actually afford the 35-80/2.8, 350/2.8, MD2, and T45.  Of course, if I did
go 100% film, I'd have to--there is no way I could function with the primes
I have in a high-pressure, high-flexibility situation and the flash and
motordrive would be required too.  Unfortunately, 100% film is no longer
feasable.

Do people actually REALIZE what we're doing?  We're selling our souls for
the dream of better megapixels.  And then to make use of those megapixels,
we're trashing perfectly good lenses for some plasticky uberzoom with more
distortion than a willow tree in the wind.  Oh, but it has built-in
image-stabilization!
Folks, PLEASE get out your OM gear, slap a roll of color-print film in it,
have it processed and scanned commercially (see Ken Rockwell) and enjoy the
results.  You might not want to use film for everything, but most of the
time, 3MP camera files exceed requirements anyway.  Instead of dreaming of
that 5Dmk2, save your pennies and pop a roll of film in your OMs.  The 5Dmk2
won't make you a better photographer and using a modern digital camera is
too much like trying to use M*cros*oft Wind*ws.  If you want to fly a
computer, fly a computer.  If you want to take pictures, use a camera.
After all, EVERY camera is really nothing more than a light-tight box that
holds film or a sensor.  Some boxes are meant to be used, others are meant
to be compared on dpr*view.

I guess I shouldn't complain about people migrating to digital--I've been
the benificiary of the left-behind equipment.  But, come on, let's get some
passion back into our photography!  If I can get all excited about a MANUAL
camera with a MECHANICAL shutter, don't you think that you can express a
little joy about the 100/2, 21/2, OM-4Ti or whatever other special items
lurk in your equipment closet which you haven't touched in two or
three years?

Just yesterday, I shot two rolls of Ilford PanF and 1/2 a roll of Provia in
the OM-4T and OM-3Ti on a personal project.  What have the rest of you shot
lately?

Why is this passion/excitement important? Do I really have to give you an
answer?  Yes, I recognize that one can get passionate and excited when
shooting the latest/greatest digital camera, but passion/excitement has to
come from WITHIN.  It does not come from stressing your credit-cards to buy
the latest/greatest.  If you can't be passionate and excited when shooting
with what you currently have, the passion/excitement from a new camera
purchase will be shortlived and artificial--lasting only until the next
model comes out.

AG-Schnozz