[OM] Re: Remote flash: was It is now official ...

Subject: [OM] Re: Remote flash: was It is now official ...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 07:15:00 -0400
Glad you asked the question.  I hadn't paid enough attention to the
details before.  The latency is specified as 1/4000 second or 1/2000
second when using a second unit in relay mode to obtain additional
distance.  I don't understand what this really means to flash sync speed
though since they recommend setting the camera shutter speed at 1/3 or
2/3 stop slower than its max sync speed.  The example given in the
user's manual is a camera having 1/250 max sync speed with recommended
settings of either 1/200 or 1/160.

Does that mean that my 5D which has 1/200 max sync speed will sync at
1/200 or only at 1/160?  My cheap ebay triggers won't sync with my Alien
Bees at 1/200 but do sync at 1/160.  It's an important question since I
do use the Bees outdoors for fill flash on group shots with a homebuilt
AC powerpack.  Every 1/3 stop counts when competing with the sun.

I'll have to email them the sync question.  I don't recall at the moment
but I *think* I've gotten the ebay triggers to sync at 1/200 firing a
portable flash unit so maybe the sync limit has to to with the studio
flash units rather than the trigger.

User's manual can be found here:
<http://www.paulcbuff.com/manuals/cybersyncmanual.pdf>

Another reason I'm glad you asked the question.  When re-reading the
description on the product page <http://alienbees.com/cybersync.html> I
noticed this:
----------------------------------
If you are using our LG4X or RC1 wired remote system it is possible to
connect one receiver to the wired remote control and to allow the
connected lights to fire from the remote wiring without interaction with
other photographers.
Well, it's perfectly obvious that one can do this now that I've read it
but for some reason I never thought of it.  I own the wired remote which
allows remote adjustment of flash power of up to 4 heads but I put it
aside years ago because the camera was tethered to the remote via a PC
cord.  Even though I use a light meter with a radio slave attached it
never occurred to me to do the same with the wired remote. (slaps head)

Chuck Norcutt