[OM] Re: It is now official - My primary camera bag is now a Digital-Fre

Subject: [OM] Re: It is now official - My primary camera bag is now a Digital-Free Zone
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 13:03:25 -0500
>Sounds to me like you are having trouble with owning it? I think if you
>just share some more great pictures and use it as inspiration, that alone
>will spread to the community.
No trouble here!  What has happened, however, is the realization that I do
have a responsibility to the community (ie, world, family, self, God, etc)
to make sure that my passion for photography not go wasted.  And further on
that note...

I've been struggling with a conceptual photography project.  I knew what I
was wanting to accomplish, but the format just wasn't working.  Too much
"I've seen that before".  Experiments showed that the end result wasn't
properly reflecting originality, uniqueness nor my vision. I've been working
on this photo project for almost a year now as it started shortly after I
received the OM-4T.

Last night I stewed on this and about 3AM I woke up with the nexus of the
new direction for this photo project.  At 3AM, it looked like it would have
a pretty simple execution, but by the time I arrived at work, realized just
how complex and difficult the project will be.  This project will lean on
not only almost every photographic skill I currenly possess, but will
require the development of a few new ones.  This is a stretch-project!  I
told my wife my idea and she responded with the bemused look usually
reserved for the village idiot, so I know I'm on the right path.  I've been
visualizing the end-result and I know that it is something that I MUST do!
The complexity of it, though, and time-investment per "image" will rival
that of a decent oil painting, so this is not a quick-hit project.  I just
regret not being able to take the day off from work to start working on it.
But most importantly, this project has taken a direction which can ONLY be
executed on film and will exploit something unique to film that cannot be
duplicated by any digital camera.  And best of all, it does NOT require that
new Macbook Pro!!!!  This one is also "silver" all the way, since the output
cannot even be, uh, digitized without compromising the value of the project.

Now the $64,000 USD question:  Is it the camera that did this?  No, of
course not.  The source of "inspiration" is a topic of great controversy,
and I don't care to impose my opinions here on a list that has such diverse
religious beliefs.  But I will suggest that the "gift" of "artistic vision"
is not for the person thus gifted, but to the world. Was the OM-3Ti
responsible for this sudden inspiration?  Not directly.  But what it did do
was two fold:  1. It got the brain working again on a particular problem and
2. It was the reminder that my artistic vision is worthy of execution--this
was the "pat on the back" and the "you can do this" encouragement I needed.
You just said "sickem" to the dog.

This encouragement and approval of what I'm doing says more to me than a
thousand verbal accolades.  You INVESTED in me.  Please excuse me openness
on this subject, but between this and the gift from the two Jims as well as
the loaner 35/shift and the 35/2.8, I realized just what this all means. I
am greatly humbled.

>I'm sure there is some great collector out there that can keep one
>of these in mint condition, but rare is one who know what film inside
>one of these things can do.

It'll be kid-glove treatment until the first scratch.  My E-1 never had a
decent image taken from it until the rock-fall.  Maybe a slight
exaggeration, but not by much.  Maybe that did something to better align the
sensor or something. ;)  The OM-4T was already a "user", but in the 10
months of use, with over 1000 pictures shot in that time, I've contributed
to the user-status a bit.  Tripods do wonders to base-plates.  The only
unfortunate thing is that my OM-2S is howling in protest from the presence
of these interlopers.

>I myself still think the OM4t is the better camera except perhaps when
>it is super cold outside. Compared to today's cameras, the 4t battery
>life is astronomical.
Yes, the OM4Ti can be used in manual mode exactly like the OM3Ti.  (which I
wasn't fully aware of until I got to actually use it this weekend)  There is
nothing really new that the 3Ti brings to the table EXCEPT for those 4-hour
time exposures this winter which I've been fretting about making happen.
(another photo inspiration needing execution, but was battling technical
limitations).  These are just cameras, but these are cameras one WANTS to
use.  It's like a pianist that prefers a Bossendorfer because of the tactile
characteristics, even though a Steinway sounds better.  But in today's
recordings or stage performances, a Yamaha S90es keyboard will trump both in
"sound quality".

The OM-3Ti, like the Leica M-series, just feels different.  Even the
charcoal-colored finish on the camera changes the tactile feel--similar to
that between a black OM-1/2 and a chrome OM-1/2.  The fingerprints just grip
the surface differently.

AG