[OM] Re: Hack your PowerShot

Subject: [OM] Re: Hack your PowerShot
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 22:08:16 -0700
usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> The port to the G9 is 98% completed for all the firmware flavors--hoorah!
> Just a couple minor bugs that are being swatted at light speed.

Great!
> Any DRYOS Cam for now must have the hack loaded on a Fat16 formatted SD.
> There are some fancier ways for other
> Canyon cams with a small Fat 16 partition to load the hack and a large FAT32
> partition. I don't think that works for DRYOS cams 710 a650 G7, G9 AFAIK so
Do you mean the A720? I think the A710 is the old OS.
> I guess the max size card to use would be 4GB.
This isn't the case for the A650. Formatting the card as FAT16 generates
a warning about non-standard cluster sizes, but my 8GB cards work fine
in the camera and in a USB reader. I was even able to recover some files
I erased by accident on one of those cards, so the file system can't be
that odd. Given the file sizes, the bigger cluster size is a non-issue.
> The "update" mode whereby it boots with the native firmware first is
> unavailable for the G9 though Canyon has made available a patch to update the
> firmware for a small defect in focusing in higher res movie mode that may
> enable the developers to reverse engineer this way to load it-.
> I always worry about non vanilla formatting and losing data, but Moose
> reports no trouble.

Still ...

Moose