[OM] Re: Yellowed 24mm f/2.0 MC

Subject: [OM] Re: Yellowed 24mm f/2.0 MC
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 22:48:24 -0500
 >I believe it was AG who said that a very few, early 50/1.4s had
radioactive element(s).

The accuracy of that claim is in question.  A fellow listmember, with access
to a Geiger counter, confirmed that his samples of the 50/1.4 and 100/2.8
didn't glow in the dark. We compared serial numbers and other
characteristics and our specimens were pretty close.

The 50/1.4, especially the early ones, were incredibly sharp in the central
area. The biggest problem I had with it was the complete lack of
flat-fieldness.  At minimum focus the plane of focus curved by almost 5mm.

Early Zuikos are quite warm. Personally, I prefer the older ones to the
later MC, blacknosed variety. The lone exception is the 24/2.8 of which I'm
on my second one. Yes, I actually wore a lens out. ;)  The flare-resistance
of the early wide-angles was pretty poor.

AG