[OM] Re: 16 bit tiff

Subject: [OM] Re: 16 bit tiff
From: <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2008 04:30:06 +0000
One first needs to differentiate based on an 8 bit file of what type?  A TIFF
or a JPEG?  The reason is that there are two things in question here.  One is
resolution and the other is color detail (meaning subtle differences in shade).

An 8 bit TIFF file,  whether uncompressed or compressed contains 8 bits of
color info for every pixel that was represented in the original raw file.  And
8 bits of color info for each RGB pixel is more color detail than can be
printed by any existing print process on any existing paper.  So, the short
answer for a TIFF file is that there is no difference at all between an 8 bit
and 16 bit file used to make a print.  That assumes, however, that any editing
of pixel brightness was done in 16 bit form before conversion to 8 bit.  But,
for editing at the pixel brightness level, there is a definite difference
between 8 and 16 bit.  Keep your intermediate editing files in 16 bit form and
your final output files in 8 bit form.

Now the answer for a JPEG... it depends.  It depends on the degree of
compression.  JPEG compression is what's called "lossy" compression.  "Lossy"
means that the compression algorithm is allowed to discard some information
based on the level of compression... what me might call fidelity or the level
of correctness.  I'll make up a hypothetical case here.  Let's say that there
is a string of 567 blue pixels with brightness 254 followed by one blue pixel
with brightness 253 followed by another 338 blue pixels of brightness value
254.  Do you think you can spot the difference if the single pixel of 253 is
replaced with another one with value 254?  At a very high correctness level the
253 might be retained.  At a lower level it might be discarded and replaced
with 254 meaning that the entire string of blue pixels can now be recorded more
simply as a contiguous string of 906 blue pixels with value 254.  That's not
really the way that JPEG compression works but the analogy should
 suffice.  Lossy compression algorithms discard information to simplify and
reduce the amount of data required to reproduce the image.  At low fidelity
levels you can clearly see the difference from an uncompressed version.  At
high fidelity levels you may not be able to tell the difference at all even
though the file is much smaller.  So the answer for the 8 bit JPEG is the same
as for the 8 bit TIFF provided that the fidelity level is sufficiently high
that you can't see the difference.  But there is no universal fidelity level.
Images with more detail in them to begin with will  require a higher fidelity
level than a photo of blue sky and clouds.

Finally, regardless of the camera used to record a 35mm image on film, the
scanned image probably contains no more than about 6-8 megapixels of useful
image data.  So a decent quality DSLR of 6-8 megapixels with a good lens (both
resolution and contrast)  should be able to reproduce that 72" print.  The
trick is that there really isn't a whole lot of detail in the 72" print.  It
looks pretty good  because you stand far away to view it.  Come close and
you'll see the pixellation or the grain.  Leica lenses are good but they are
not magic.

Chuck Norcutt