[OM] 1600 ISO

Subject: [OM] 1600 ISO
From: Brent <brutherford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 13:06:29 +1000

I thought I'd do something a bit different a week or two ago and
instead of sticking a Zuiko on a digital body I stuck it on a film-
based Canon EOS 300 I had around.  Main reason for this was I wanted
to take some photos at a night festival, and the settings on my OM-1
are hard to see in the dark.  Also, my wife stole the Digital SLR body.

Anyway, I tried using FujiFilm Press 1600 film for the first time.
Didn't get that many good shots, probably because I was hand-shooting
while trying to control my 2 year old daughter with my other hand.
Also, I find it really hard to focus accurately on the fly without any
focusing aids in the viewfinder.

Anyway, I really wish I'd had a 5D-quality digital back instead of the
1600 ISO film... I'm not saying my photographic technique is perfect,
far from it, but even the shots which seem to be exposed correctly
have really strong grain, let alone what looks like perfectly
noiseless performance on the 5DMKII & latest Nikons.  I actually
really like strong grain in B&W, given the right subject, but I don't
think it works as well in colour.

I had a go at removing the grain but my photoshop skills couldn't come
up with anything that didn't look 'soft focus'.  Not that I expected
grainless photos with a 1600 ISO film, but I guess I've become
accustomed to the results people are producing with their new digital
gear now.

http://homepage.mac.com/brent_rutherford/Sep2008_1600ISO/