[OM] Re: A film better than digital

Subject: [OM] Re: A film better than digital
From: Doug <doug9345@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 22:33:08 -0400
On Thursday, October 02, 2008 20:37, Moose wrote:
> Wayne Harridge wrote:
> > Interesting but...
> >
> > ...if you think about some of the greatest photographs:
> >
> > Which ones would be significantly improved by having double the film
> > resolution ?
>
> With just a few words, you have, at least to me, raised a host of
> complex issues, some of which are probably unresolvable.

Moose I read what you wrote and I think you outline many of the issues very
well.

I think another question is which good photograph would become great if it was
taken on film with double the film resolution. Or possibly which potentially
great photograph wasn't taken because the photographer understood that it was
beyond his technical limits do to film resolution. I don't have an answer to
either question.

I do think where improving photography technology does produce great images is
were it puts cameras in places and peoples hands  where they wouldn't have
been before.

A couple of examples I can think of are some of the various war time photos,
almost all taken with 35mm cameras and there are or will be great photographs
taken with a cell phone camera. It won't be great because of it's technical
qualities, but because it captures something that has great emotional impact
and it will spread around the globe like wildfire.
-Doug