[OM] Re: 1600 ISO

Subject: [OM] Re: 1600 ISO
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 22:11:11 -0700
AS wrote:
> The original post never came through but have you tried Noise Ninja?

I would expect any of the 3 or 4 major independent NR apps to give good
results.

I used NeatImage to show Brent how well NR could work on his high ISO
film images for the simple reason that it's what I use. I don't know how
it would stack up against other options in their current incarnations.

When I went looking for NR software a few years ago, I ended up trying
out both NI and NN using their trial versions. I really couldn't see
much difference in performance overall. It seemed like one would have a
slight edge on one image and the situation would reverse or be even on
other images.

I ended up using NI for the immediate task at hand back then for the
simple reason that the NI trial, although limited in several ways
compared to the full version, would output a usable image. The NN trial
would only output watermarked images.

I occasionally used the NI limited version for some time thereafter and
now use the full version fairly regularly. It is like magic on some
sorts of files, like RAW files from the A650 IS, both reducing noise and
increasing detail at once. NN might do the same or better - or not. I
don't know.

Moose