[OM] Re: OM-1 Viewfinder

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-1 Viewfinder
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 22:45:08 -0700
Dawid Loubser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> No, this is not buyer's remorse at all, and certainly not even a few, or a
> few hundred, specks of dust, this is a strange deposit inside the lens. In
> anyway, I am still thrilled, it just seems as if it something
> which should (and could) be cleaned...
>
> Of course dirt in the lens can cause flare / halation / contrast loss!
> - I can clearly see the flare rings reflect off the junk in the lens when I
> point into the sun.
> However, a bit of dust won't do this, this is much worse.

I once sold a lens to a list member who discovered shining a light
through it what he described as a very regular pattern of specks. He
felt they were far too regular and numerous to be simply dust and was
concerned about fungus. As he had a nearby repairman he trusted, I said
to simply have it cleaned and I would pay for it.

The fellow apparently looked, laughed, said it was simply dust - and
cleaned it off for free on the spot. Nice outcome for both of us. I wish
that repairman lived here, not across the country.

I suspect and hope that yours is nothing more than that.

Moose