[OM] Re: Help with xp sp2 !

Subject: [OM] Re: Help with xp sp2 !
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 22:22:26 -0400
There are probably a hundred or even a thousand reasons why an
individual file might be "lost" ranging from all sorts of human error
(you or others) to all sorts of software errors (Windows or the
applications) to totally random events like the random flipping of a
bit.  That's all part of the reason we make backups.

Computers are amazingly reliable when considering the probability of
losing or corrupting a single bit.  I don't really recall the numbers
off the top of my head but let's say your computer can process 10^15
bits without an error.  But if your processor is pumping through 2
gigabytes/second it will make a single bit error on average about every
139 hours.

Our desktop machines used to have parity bits and error check and
correction bits and logic.  Those were designed to at least catch the
error condition or, in the case of ECC, fix it on the fly.   But those
things have disappeared from the scene.

Chuck Norcutt