[OM] Re: flickr alternative

Subject: [OM] Re: flickr alternative
From: "Timpe, Jim" <Jim.Timpe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 07:06:25 -0700
Chris said;

Yes, a Merlin is just the best. ............... It sounds really good.

As a kid, the hydroplane races in town were a favorite summertime event.
I'm talking late '50s and early '60s.  All the boats used surplus WWII
aircraft engines.  Merlins, Allisons, Packards.  And for a little extra
kick coming out of corners, they had nitrous injection.  House I grew up
in is a good five or six miles (as the crow flies) from the race course,
on Lake Washington.   I could hear even a single boat at practice or
qualifying from my back yard.  Quite easily.
To be at the races and see/HEAR seven or eight piston boats all
approaching the start/finish line at full song.... Wow.

They've made tremendous strides in design, safety, and reliability.  Use
surplus turbines now (I think predominantly from some helicopter
application).  They're fast, and they corner like there are rails in the
water, but the sound.  There's no comparison.

Similarly, when I was in military tech school, I was privileged to see
the AF Thunderbirds in one of their last performances while still flying
F-4 phantoms.  Four aircraft on the runway simultaneously lighting their
afterburners up was another one of those great sounds.

immediately.