[OM] [OT] Desktop intestines, what is the most sensible buy today?

Subject: [OM] [OT] Desktop intestines, what is the most sensible buy today?
From: "Johann Thorsson" <johann@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 13:41:13 -0700
One of our computers died this week when we had a power outage.  It had been
running for 10 years, and I was hoping for 10 more, but Tucson Electric put
an end to that dream.

That means I will probably upgrade my work computer and migrate what that
box contains into the other box, which serves as our file server.  The
problem is that I have no clue what I should be looking for when buying new
motherboards, CPUs, memory and video cards.  Is any listmember who has
recently upgraded or purchased a new desktop system willing to share his
knowledge?

I would like a reasonably fast machine, but it does not have to be the
latest or gratest, I guess I am looking for the best bang for the buck, it
would be used for usual word processing stuff, spreadsheets, statistical
analyses, databases etc, plus image processing and occasional 3D design
(CAD).