[OM] Re: E-420 vs 520...is IS worthwhile?

Subject: [OM] Re: E-420 vs 520...is IS worthwhile?
From: Rob Harrison <robhar54@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 21:20:48 -0700
I suspect you may be right AG...I _loved_ the way the 420 felt in my
hands...but the die is cast. I took the e-420 back to Circuit City and
got the full price refunded (which was great--I was expecting a 15%
restocking fee), and ordered an e-520 and 14-42 and 40-150 from
Adorama. I'll get the 9-18 when it comes out in September.

I think I am finally accepting that for most uses I'd rather have a
light, compact kit than the absolute optically best one. It's kinda
like the way I've been moving to smaller displacement motorcycles.
More fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow... We'll see.
For adventure motorcycling, the seals of the e-3 make a _lot_ of
sense--keeping dust and water out. And the combo of 7-14, 12-60 and
50-200 (or 70-300) would cover everything I could possible want,
including shooting my architecture. All that is just not a financial
option at the moment. Of course, the other option for architecture is
a 5D and my Zuiko 24 and 35 shifts and 18/3.5.

BTW, thanks everyone who responded--very helpful as usual! I confess
that this list was the major factor in sticking with Oly. I could
easily have gone for a clean slate with C*n*n or Nik*n, but for
whatever reason, Olympus makes cameras that "my people" love. :-)

Rob in Seattle