[OM] (Wildly OT) Electric heaters

Subject: [OM] (Wildly OT) Electric heaters
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 08:08:47 -0400
Again, wildly off topic as far as photography is concerned, but I
post questions here because I know there are folks on the list who
have the kind of knowledge I'm looking for.

So those of you who heat with oil know this coming winter is likely
to be a nightmare for your bank account. We just got our EasyCap
payment statement from the oil company, and we're going to be
shelling out $489 a month for 10 months to keep our furnace fed this
winter. (Unless, as some say, oil prices are on a bubble that's ripe
for bursting. I'm not holding my breath.)

A huge number of folk are turning to wood pellet stoves, so many in
fact, that the stoves are backordered and there's no guarantee enough
pellets will be available during the winter. I'm intrigued, but I'm
not particularly in favor of encouraging the burning of even more
fuels that directly dump assorted undesirable gasses into the
atmosphere.

Cord wood is going for about $262 a cord for green wood, and if you
don't already have dried wood, forget it. Not going to get any.

So I've been looking at electric heaters, space and otherwise. One I
find intriguing is the quartz infrared heater. It retails for about
$250-$300, claims to run on about $1 a day, and, if the claims are
anywhere near true, would be able to take the edge off in, say, my
upstairs work area, so that I could keep the thermostat at about 55F
and run the heater while I'm working.

Esteemed wife is looking at Vornado electric space heaters for her
fitness studio. She has elderly clients, and needs to have the studio
heated to about 68F. But she doesn't have that many clients in the
winter, and these Vornados appear to be the type that would heat up
the space quickly then turn off, at minimal cost in electricity.
Again, the thermostat could be left at 55F, or even lower.

Of course I know nothing about electric heater technology these days,
but I do know there are all kinds of claims starting to circulate
about how to beat the high cost of oil heat. And I know a few people
who have ceramic space heaters who tote them from room to room in
winter and claim to save a considerable amount of money off their
fuel bills. If anyone on the list has already done the research, or
is familiar with such things as quartz infrared heat, please advise.
Off list, if you don't want to clog up the photo stuff, though my
guess is there are more than just me who might be interested.

Thanx in advance,

--Bob Whitmire
www.bwp33.com