[OM] Re: Did a May Wedding

Subject: [OM] Re: Did a May Wedding
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 22:45:31 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Yes, Dr. Flash noted a number of opportunities for fill flash and also where
> the flash would be the main light and not simply fill.  But many of these can
> be significantly improved with the shadow/highlight control, especially if
> the raw images are run though Camera Raw.  But, when the dynamic range
> exceeds the capability of the camera,
> <http://imagecraft.smugmug.com/gallery/5119866_c7wVy#309501579_KsE8X-M-LB>
> as it does here with blown background highlights and blocked up black tuxedos
> there isn't any other choice but flash or else choosing which end of the
> brightness range you're going to accommodate.  This shot, being post
> ceremony, might have allowed flash but perhaps not during the ceremony itself.

Or had them posed in a more feliticiously lighted spot. I suppose being
in front of the altar seems natural, but the lighting is tough.

It can be largely rescued. I don't think the lost detail in the tuxes
matters to anyone but a nitpicker like me. And enough highlight detail
an be recovered in the pillar to give it some texture. I may have
overdone the faces, but as usual, I'm showing something like the limits.
On a full size image, I'd be more subtle with the faces. In any case, as
with your holiday shots, the participants are probably less fussy than
we are, so a print with clear faces would probably be a hit.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Man/Men.htm>

Moose