[OM] South Africa

Subject: [OM] South Africa
From: Brian Gray <brian.gray@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 18:11:03 +0100
One point which you may need to bear in mind if you are using a hire
car in South Africa.  Some of the scenic roads 'up-country' are not
tar-macadamed ie they are surfaced in gravel or similar (I think this
includes the roads in Hluhluwe). Therefore it is desirable that your
insurance covers you for driving on such roads - our hire car in SA
did not although I assume my cousin's did for her own car and she
took us to Hluhluwe. We could not explore one of the more famous
passes near the Kangoo caves in our hire car because of the
limitation of the insurance provided with it.  But we did see plenty
of ostriches in that area.
The geology and wild flowers can be spectacular in places - but
beware of the skills of baboons, I have seen them remove extension
mirrors off a car parked with a caravan outside the Drakensburg and
lead someone a merry dance to recover them.
Brian

From: Gordon Ross <gordross@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [OM] Re: South Africa

Hi Brian

Thanks for the tips, The Hluhluwe Park is scheduled in and my daughter
(who is setting up the agenda) will followup on the Drakensburg.  I
will let you know when I post pictures.