[OM] South Africa

Subject: [OM] South Africa
From: Brian Gray <brian.gray@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 12:11:09 +0100
re Gordon Ross <gordross@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [OM] Where to go, what to see in Africa

I leave for Africa June 13th for a 6 week self directed tour of  the
south of Africa.  Any suggestions of photographic sites, regions,
places to see, food to devour, safaris to take, would be greatly
appreciated.  I am doing this travel with my daughter and two of her

Unless they have been there already, I would suggest you look closely
at the possibilities of a trip to Hluhluwe park - it may be too late
to get accommodation in the vicinity.  I went there with a South
African cousin 10 years ago in September and found it
outstanding.  At that time, and I hope now but I do not know, you
could drive your own vehicle around the rough roads of the park and
stopped wherever you wanted - perhaps because of white rhino
(plural!) a few yards away, or giraffes on the road.  I used a lot of
film and had a memorable holiday. We only had a very distant view of
lions and did not sight elephants, only their damage to trees etc (A
tourist was reported recently to have had his car shaken by one that
got much too close for comfort.) but got lots of pictures of rhino,
and giraffes + wart hog, hippo, and various small antelope.  Be
prepared for very high humidity at times.
        The Drakensburg is also worth a visit, Kangoo caves .... and many
other places. (It was in the Kangoo caves that I learned that my
unmodified OM2SP batteries are quickly flattened by the flash ready
light for a T32!)
        Food and accommodation could be very cheap for those from England
although motoring and film etc (ie imported goods) were not at that
time.  Others can tell you more about current prices - local tourist
information centres were very good for excellent accommodation at low
prices. Enjoy.
Brian Gray