[OM] Re: minimizing scan noise / A couple of Velvia 50 birds

Subject: [OM] Re: minimizing scan noise / A couple of Velvia 50 birds
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 13:29:18 -0300
Moose wrote:
> I thought my lengthy post was pretty tightly focused on answering the
> specific questions:
>
> 1. "Could someone more skilled than myself, explain theory and practice of
> this technique?"
>
> and
>
> 2. "But there are scans which are problematic, those slides which have
> details in the shadows and careful adjustment of curves and luminosity and
> USM don't seem to resolve accurately."
>
> and
>
> 3. "I was thinking about doing something like HDR scanning, merging the
> resulting files using CS3 - but I don't know if this makes any sense."

Yes indeed Moose, and yours was quite an answer - I learned tons out of it.
>> Anyway, light box and loupe inspection shows my version of 'Gallineta'
>> closer to the film original than yours, and I think this is due to the fact
>> that although the frame is correctly exposed at 1/60, shutter speed was low
>> enough to register blur from bird's movement. This accounts for little
>> detail in the wing feathers and a slight movement at the point of the beak.
>>
> Tweaking sharpness and toning down the background was just a bit of fun.
>
> The main point was directly related to question 2. The scanning has
> extracted shadow detail, without noise, that wasn't visible in the image
> you posted, but may be accessed with PS. And if I correctly understand
> what you say above, may not have been visible on the slide itself?

'Mea Culpa': I had suspected I should not had sent those posts (which
now share the same Subject line) consecutively, must have waited a week
for the latter. Thus, I induced the idea that the birds post was an
example ('in practice' I had said !) of some problems I was having when
scanning specific slides (remember the Piazza del Popolo at dusk ? -
That one is troublesome !!). Certainly, the birds present difficulties
and shadow detail was a problem in 'Primaverita' yellow feathers (a
little underexposed in the Velvia, and too much underesposed in the
.tiff), but there was no more shadow detail in 'Gallineta' black
feathers. There were blue in green (color balance) tough situations too,
but I thought you worked on 'Gallineta' because of lack of overall
detail - following C.H. words: "For birds shots their eyes and feather
must be well expressed." So, my answer to lack of "feather expression"
was slow sync speed, and perhaps shallow DOF, rather than 200/4 + 2X-A
alone.

Hope this explanation is clear enough, with enough shadow detail,
minimal noise and correct color balance  ;^)
Excuse me, I should have foreseen  this confusion.

Fernando.