[OM] Re: New scanner and mass scanning projects [was Sixteen Bit Scannin

Subject: [OM] Re: New scanner and mass scanning projects [was Sixteen Bit Scanning and Photoshop]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 21:57:41 -0700
C.H.Ling wrote:
> From: "Moose" <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
>
>> I've been retired for eight years now. I still don't like slow, repetitive
>> tasks. And I don't see how I ever found time for work. :-)
>>
> Yeah! I feel the same. But most of my colleagues don't understand or they
> don't have enough personal interests? They think it must be very boring when
> retired so they tried to work until the company tell them to retire.

In my experience, they die off fast, too. The ones for whom their work
is their main life and source of their sense of self and self worth seem
to die shortly after retirement.

>> The 4000 ED and FS4000 are different designs, nominally the same resolution,
>> and I think pretty much the same in practical results. However, I don't
>> think Epson reached the true resolution and IQ level of the Canon 9950F with
>> their 4850, or even the 4990. Only with the V700/750 did they reach the full
>> potential of flatbed 4800dpi, just
>> edging out the 9950F.
> Electronics equipment gets better and better, I do believe some later flatbed
> will do a great job. I have/had three over $1K film scanners and two over
> $400 flatbeds, I just don't want to invest on scanner anymore.

Yeah, it's scary what some outdated equipment originally cost. I was
shocked the other day when I ran across the cost of my original, 2700dpi
scanner. Otherwise, I've been lucky. I bought my FS4000 used with a then
latest SCSI board for well less than new. I just paid $364, including
shipping, for the 9950F, below new, well below the $500+ for a V700 and
well below what they were selling for used for a long time after they
were discontinued. Both used scanners were like new and have performed
flawlessly.

I certainly expect the 9950F to be my last scanner buy. I can partially
justify it for the MF film, mostly negs, but a few slides, that I
couldn't scan before.

Moose