[OM] Re: [OT] Dealing with weak wireless network signals

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Dealing with weak wireless network signals
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 11:02:02 -0700
Jez Cunningham wrote:
> Go for adaptors using MIMO technology

I don't think getting a MIMO receiver necessarily makes any difference
without a MIMO transmitter using the same protocol. The proposed 802.11n
standard supports MIMO in principle, but I don't think it specifies
details. The WiMax standard, 802.16x does specify a MIMO standard.

As the original question related to a receiver to be used while
traveling, where virtually all open or hotel/motel networks encountered
will be 802.11b or g, I'm not sure I see how MIMO will help.

I have a MIMO USB antenna/adapter that implements XtremeMIMO, a single
manufacturer implementation that predates any MIMO standards. With a
matching wireless router, it's supposed to use MIMO to improve
connectivity and throughput. With a standard b/g router, it falls back
to that standard, although it claims it "... out performs other standard
IEEE 802.11b/g Wi-Fi devices in any situation.".

I bought it not for the MIMO, but for the above claim, a freestanding
design that may be moved for best reception, good user reviews and an
attractive price. I haven't compared it to the built-in WiFi on my VAIO
notebook.

Moose