[OM] [OT] Dealing with weak wireless network signals

Subject: [OM] [OT] Dealing with weak wireless network signals
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 18:59:04 -0400
This weekend was only the second time I've left home with my laptop
which has built-in wireless network support.  On the first trip I
encountered some minor problems with weak signals at one hotel I was
staying at but nothing that kept me off the air.  This past weekend I
was staying at a hotel in a room which was at the farthest point you
could be from the hotel's access point for the floor I was on.  The
signal was so weak I couldn't get an IP address to get started so I was
without internet support for the entire weekend.

That started me thinking about the round-the-country trip I'm planning
for early fall.  If I'm gone for 4-6 weeks in catch-as-catch-can hotels
I'll undoubtedly encounter some which have no access point at all but
also some where I'm simply too far away for a strong, clean signal.

My question is how to resolve the weak signal problem.  Using a built-in
WO-FI adapter as is in my Dell laptop I don't see how to add a signal
boosting antenna.  Therefore, it would seem that what's needed is a
signal boosting, short distance re-transmitter or else a separate
receiver/modem with ethernet output to go around the built-in WI-FI
card.  But this stuff is mostly a mystery to me and maybe there's some
other magical way to boost and recover the signal.

Advice?

Thanks,
Chuck Norcutt