[OM] Re: Exciting times chez Moose

Subject: [OM] Re: Exciting times chez Moose
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 01:45:34 -0700
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> Ah, so you're a tree hater then.

I'm literally a it of a tree hugger and Carol Anne is, according to her
bumper sticker, a "Tree Hugging Dirt Worshiper."

Nonetheless, we were very happy to see this one go. The woman who lived
in the house for many years intentionally planted that tree in simply
the wrong place - then moved. It wasn't just the wrong place for a
Eucalypt, but for any large tree. A Eucalypt was a particularly  bad
choice because of all the material it drops - right on their only level
outdoor living space. I should have followed my instincts back then and
snuck out to kill it off in the dead of night.
> And that looks suspiciously like a young, healthy Eucalypt.
Yup, and as above, was in the wrong place. In the back yard, they left
the young, healthy ones and took out a couple of old ones. The arborist
said he is concerned about other huge old ones in that canyon, as the
ones he took out were rotten at the core. I have to agree with him. I
used to live on that side of the street, a couple of doors down. I had
one huge one fall from across the canyon into my back yard., just
missing the house. A few years later, another right on my property line
fell, quite amazingly, at about the only angle where it wouldn't smash
part of a house or block the road. Only took out a clothesline. That was
enough for my neighbor, who had all his taken out. Now there is a lovely
redwood in that back yard.

Remember, these trees are imported exotics here. I'm not sure they are
really suited for steep hillsides in shady canyons. In the parks at the
top of the ridge, there is a long term project to pull out the eucalypts
and other exotics and replace them with the redwoods, bay laurel and
live oaks that were native. They are using horse teams to log them out
in steep areas to do minimum damage.

I don't know which of the many species these are, but they are
incredibly messy trees. I recall the day, sitting in my old house,
looking out mid level at some large ones when I realized that there was
never a moment, 24/7/365 when something wasn't on it's way to the ground.
> With attitudes like that, you deserve to live in...a suburb.

Whatever you may choose to call it, I regularly give thanks for my luck
in the place I live.

Moose