[OM] Re: Exciting times chez Moose

Subject: [OM] Re: Exciting times chez Moose
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 20:32:14 +1000
I should say that this is a regular Eucalypt trait - they are not
only not deciduous, they shed leaves constantly and the gums shed
bark too, especially the stringybarks, although that is more
seasonal. That's not mess, it is valuable and attractive leaf litter.
Consequently, it is a ridiculous idea to try and grow a lawn under
them - the correct ground layer is a shallow, dry leaf litter or, in
a garden setting, a nice light mulch or woodchip layer (not pine
chips - too acid). With a few grass tussocks.
Living with Eucalypts requires a shift in paradigm - early European
Australians found them difficult to love.
And the wrong place to plant a big gum? Any closer to a house  than
about 20 metres. Otherwise they'll shade it in the winter and suck
enough moisture out of the ground to shift the foundations in the
summer.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx