[OM] Re: 1st traditional wedding shoot

Subject: [OM] Re: 1st traditional wedding shoot
From: Nathan <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 21:51:02 +0200
Even in more recent times people dispensed with ceremony if their
economic conditions required it. In Danish, the expression for living
out of wedlock is "leve på polsk" which literally translates as
"living in Polish". The expression originated in the 2nd half of 19th
century when a lot of Polish landless labourers came to southern
Denmark to work the fields. When a couple wanted to get together,
they would just move in together, something otherwise unheard of back
then. But they had no money for church ceremonies and anyway there
were no Catholic churches around.

Nathan

On 21-mei-2008, at 8:44, Andrew Fildes wrote:

> It's mentioned in Chaucer - The Wife of Bath (that she'd been to the
> church door three times).
> That's in the 1200's.
> Serfs couldn't afford anything more elaborate.
> Andrew Fildes
> afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> On 21/05/2008, at 9:33 AM, Leandro DUTRA wrote:
>
>> I would be surprised at such a protocol at anywhere but parishes
>> seriously destitute of pastors, do you have any sources for it?  It
>> sounds like something that would happen only where families were
>> seriously messed.

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

Nathan Wajsman