[OM] Re: Photo editing under Linux

Subject: [OM] Re: Photo editing under Linux
From: "Fabio Fiorellato" <flowerside@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 09:51:13 +0200
Consider installing Photoshop (Windows version) in Linux by using Wine (
www.winehq.com).

Having used the Photoshop LE edition bundled with my scan, I'd say you won't
have any trouble (at least if your PC is powerful enough).

The only regret was that I've not managed to access the scan this way
through the TWAIN drivers provided by the vendor. Of course, using it
natively under Linux wasn't a problem.

Regards

Fabio

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 2:37 PM, Leandro DUTRA <leandro.gfc.dutra@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> 2008/5/12 Scott Gomez <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> >
> > Today I read that some photographers are using CinePaint (also open
> > source) in order to handle photo editing with full 16-bit support.
>
> Also, CinePaint was friendly forked, one using the old Gimp
> infrastructure and another with a totally new engine, I seem to
> remember it being called Glasgow or something the like.  Can't
> remember if it has something to do with Gimp's GEGL.  Anyway, once
> these changes settle down we should have a new CinePaint or whatever
> its successor is called, and a new Gimp, both much nicer than today's
> versions.  These should finally give Photoshop a run for the money.
>
> The catch was that CinePaint still was Gtk+ 1.X last time I checked,
> has that changed?
>

> > Just thought I'd mention them as I know there are others here that are
> > Linux folks and I've never noticed either mentioned before.
>
> What I would like to find is a tutorial on hygh dynamic range image
> composition in the Gimp or something the like.  I don't know enough
> about it or Photoshop to translate Photoshop tutorials.
>
> --
> skype:leandro.gfc.dutra?chat Yahoo!: ymsgr:sendIM?lgcdutra
> +55 (11) 3040 7300 r155 gTalk:
> xmpp:leandrod@xxxxxxxxxx<xmpp%3Aleandrod@xxxxxxxxxx>
> +55 (11) 9406 7191 ICQ/AIM: aim:GoIM?screenname=61287803
> +55 (11) 5685 2219 MSN: msnim:chat?contact=leandro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

The definitive answer to the meaning of life, universe and everything else
is: 42.