[OM] Re: Fuji's Troubles

Subject: [OM] Re: Fuji's Troubles
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 02:15:53 -0700
Winsor Crosby wrote:
> There are strong rumors that FujiFilm has sold the rights to their DSLR
Not much of a business, I think, Fuji sensor and processor in a Nikon
body. I can't imagine it ever generated any noticeable profits.
>  and medium format business.
I think all that is left of the MF business is rights, maybe some
tooling, parts, old stock. B&H lists a few lenses and accessories, but
no cameras.
> They are retaining the sensor business, digicams and what is left of the film
> business.

I'm sorry to see any of the old line photo companies in trouble. I hope
it's just a matter of getting rid of tiny, non-profitable lines to
concentrate on the viable parts. It may be odd, but small, unimportant
parts of companies can throw off their focus. Insufficient DOF, perhaps.

Bring back the F30 with their latest sensor technology (re)optimized for
6mp, add the IS they have finally shown, and I'm in love.

Bring out another version with black finish, a retro name/look, external
flash synch, an accessory optical viewfinder, some other odd
accessory(s) (maybe a goofy looking and/or mounting flash), jack up the
price, and go after the Ricoh/DP-1/?? crowd. Even though the 3x zoom is
excellent, stick a single focal length lens on it ("Fuji Prime Plus"),
and there would finally be a decent camera in that niche.

With most of the development cost already sunk in the F series, a silly
high price and they might even make some money on them.

Moose

Moose