[OM] Re: rechargable lithium ion batteries

Subject: [OM] Re: rechargable lithium ion batteries
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 15:10:25 -0700 (PDT)
Chuck,
      Actually most common Li ion batteries are not "rated" to give
particularly high current,
many are only rated 2C.  There are some types rated for higher currents
typically using a
different electrode material, but they are not so common except for special
uses radio control
helicopter users and power drills.  Most common Li-ion cells have built in
internal curent
limiting electronics, so you cannot draw too high a current, to prevent them
self igniting!   The
NiMH are actually frequently rated for higher current and more importantly,
don't have any built
in protection electronics.

In this  particular case, of the so called  "3V " lithium batteries these are
frequently not
Li-ion, but some other Li chemistry like Li-FePO4 (~3.3) with electronics or a
diode to reduce the
voltage a bit more. They reqiuire a special lower voltage charger too.  I would
not be surprised
if their rated current was quite modest, like <2A.
But this is a guess based on not seeing the batteries so, I can't say
definitively, except the
symptoms fit well with them having limited current capability.

Tim Hughes