[OM] Re: [OT] Eboy's negative feedback policy

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Eboy's negative feedback policy
From: "Daniel Sepke" <daniel.sepke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 19:45:24 -0400
It's because of the risk of retaliatory feedback that you don't see
negatives much anymore. A lot of sellers only leave feedback for buyers
after the buyer has posted for them. I know as a seller I started to do that
because of a difficult buyer. I was not prepared to deal with problem buyers
without some sort of tool to use in the very last resort. Thankfully I have
not any truly difficult buyers in the last few years, in the past I have had
some doozies let me tell you.

Negative feedback has very little to do with how eBay deal with problems
anyway. If you have a problem buyer you will get more done by reporting them
as a Non Paying Bidder than you will by just leaving negative feedback. I
haven't left negative for a NPB in years but I have reported every one of
them (thankfully they have come down in number over the years). The risk to
me of getting a neg back in response just isn't worth it when as a seller
98-99% positive is a semi-requirement to getting good sales (I have a 99.8
with early three negs in just over 10 years on eBay).

I would suspect you will soon see negatives more often once the rules
change. I also think that only mid level high quality sellers will have
unblemished records in the future. High volume sellers will get more negs
than they do now and as a result there percentages will go down. Low
experience sellers who don't know the expectations will likely suffer as
well (with financial consequences as we have discussed here recently).

Dan S.