[OM] Re: Some interesting commentary on sensor size, pixel pitch and r

Subject: [OM] Re: Some interesting commentary on sensor size, pixel pitch and r
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 22:55:03 -0700
> From: "Leandro DUTRA" <leandro.gfc.dutra@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> 2008/4/19, Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>
>> Don't Have Kids
>
> Can't believed I read something so stupid, and at a photography list
> at that.  I had until this moment photography as a respite from such
> shortsightedness.

We've got 6.7 billion people sitting on the tip of an energy pulse
that is unique within a couple billion years. The planet was unable to
support more than a billion or so before the advent of fossil fuel.

People are going to start dying soon. And I don't mean all at once.
No, it will be more insidious, something appropriate for "boiling
frogs." People will lose jobs, and in the US, at least, they'll lose
their health care. Many are already malnourished, from eating from
"the centre of the store," where all the subsidized, heavily-
processed, minimally-nutritious food is.

When the Soviet Union fell, the average life-span fell from 70 or so
to under 50 years. And they still export oil! Imagine what the US will
be like when gas hits $5/gallon, $10/gallon, $20/gallon... the course
is irreversible, if not manageable if only our leaders (and
followers!) were not wilfully blind. There will be Argentina-style
inflation -- 1,000% or more. And people still won't be able to afford
petroleum, because you can't show up with a bunch of coloured paper
and ask God to put more oil in the ground.

But the technologists insist that high-tech will save the day. Yea,
right. It currently takes six times the weight of an automobile to
manufacture it. Where is that going to come from for even standard
vehicles, let alone esoteric, complex high-tech drive trains?

So yea. Don't have kids, if you care for their future. Kids are great.
I love to send them home with their parents after playing with
them. :-) Saying "don't have kids" is no value judgement on those who
do; it's foreboding to those who still have a choice.

To put words in his mouth, I don't think Andrew was condemning anyone
who already has them. He's just saying it's all gotta stop sooner or
later, and if it ain't sooner, it's going to hurt more later.

:::: You're saying we should use nuclear fusion to desalinate sea
water and deliver it to cropland? It's already been done -- it's
called "rain". ::::
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.EcoReality.org ::::